Monday, July 09, 2012
The Stripper's Guide Book is Now Available!
|University of Michigan Press, ISBN 978-0-472-11756-7|
All serious newspaper comic strip fans and collectors will find this book an invaluable reference. Whether you want information about an obscure title, or need to check the 'vital statistics' of a popular fan favorite, American Newspaper Comics provides authoritative answers.
Over 7000 distinct newspaper comics series are covered, with the following information offered for each:
- beginning and end dates
- frequency and format
- artist and writer beginning and ending dates and roles
- syndicate information
- alternate titles
- book collections
- story listings
- additional notes about the series
- source notes indicating where information was gathered
- extensive introductory material describing the research methods used, and explanatory notes about the evolution of the newspaper comic strip
- a directory of newspaper syndicates, with capsule histories of over 100 companies
- cross-reference of syndicates, listing all features they distributed
- cross-reference of creators, listing all features with which they were involved
- cross-reference of alternate titles to listed features
- a bundled CD with over 3000 high quality sample images of over 2000 different features covered in the book
Price and Availability
To get the 40% off price, click here to go to the publishers website, and when you place your order use the promo code "COMICS" to receive the special discount.
The book is also available on Amazon but the discount pricing seems to come and go on a daily basis. The publisher is not certain that the discounted price will ever be consistently found there, but if you are dead set on purchasing at Amazon, keep a watch on the listing. There is already a really wonderful book review there that you might check out, though!
If you are in Europe, you can order at discounted price from Eurospan, and The Book Depository offers free shipping all over the world and gives a 25% discount off cover price.
I ordered a copy through Amazon, looking forward to using it! Are you going to return to regular posting soon? I really miss Herriman Saturdays!
Thanks and Congratulations!
(you helped me with "Salesman Sam ")
That may well be worth a free copy of the book -- not an easy task! Maybe I'll do a contest.
Contacted the publisher, they are going to extend the promo to the end of September (it expired at the end of August apparently). It may be a few days before the promo will be reinstated, so please be patient.
Michael Barrier has a page on his website where he posts corrections etc. to his books. You might want to do that for ANC